What's the difference between Socionics and MBTI?
Both Socionics and MBTI are personality theories derived from Jungian psychology. MBTI was developed in America by Katherine Cook Briggs and Isabel Briggs Myers around the 1920's, whereas Socionics was developed in Eastern Europe by Aušra Augustinavičiūtė in the 1970's.
Both systems utilize the concepts of functions (thinking/feeling, sensing/intuition), attitudes (extraversion/introversion), and preference (judging/perceiving). A notable difference is that in MBTI, the judging/perceiving preference applies to the dominant function in extroverts and the auxiliary function in introverts whereas in Socionics, the judging/perceiving preference is always applied to the dominant function. This has led to the suggestion that you can easily convert between the two systems by switching the J/P designation on the types (or just the introverted types), but most people that study the systems eventually reject such a straightforward conversion--the nature of how each system approaches typing and models personality differs in ways that make attempts at one-to-one conversions futile.
Why is the last letter of the type labels set in lower case?
Among the different personality type theories, I prefer using socionics, which differentiates itself from MBTI through this lower case convention. Some people claim that socionics and MBTI types have no correlation, or that there is some weird conversion method (switch the J/P if you're an introvert) but in my experience, the types generally correspond, or I don't know any better. More on this later...
Converting between 4-Letter and 3-Letter Socionics type designations
- INTj - LII (Logical Intuitive Introvert)
- ISFp - SEI (Sensing Ethical Introvert)
- ESFj - ESE (Ethical Sensing Extrovert)
- ENTp - ILI (Intuitive Logical Extrovert)
- ISTj - LSI (Logical Sensing Introvert)
- INFp - IEI (Intuitive Ethical Introvert)
- ENFj - EIE (Ethical Intuitive Extrovert)
- ESTp - SLE (Sensing Logical Extrovert)
- ISFj - ESI (Ethical Sensing Introvert)
- INTp - ILI (Intuitive Logical Introvert)
- ENTj - LIE (Logical Intuitive Extrovert)
- ESFp - SEE (Sensing Ethical Extrovert)
- INFj - EII (Ethical Intuitive Introvert)
- ISTp - SLI (Sensing Logical Introvert)
- ESTj - LSE (Logical Sensing Extrovert)
- ENFp - IEE (Intuitive Ethical Extrovert)
More FAQ to come...